Following in the footsteps of 4e, with a unified (if still very variable) appearance and a tiefling racial backlore as "descendants of a cursed empire" rather than "spawn of a human and a fiend". Tieflings are derived from human bloodlines and they still look semi-human. However, their infernal heritage has left a clear imprint on their appearance (D&D 5th Ed).
- Ability Score Increase: Intelligence +1 and Charisma +2
- Size: Medium
- Speed: 30 feet
- Darkvision: 60 feet
- Hellish Resistance: Resistance to fire damage.
- Infernal Legacy: You know the Thaumaturgy cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Hellish Rebuke spell as a 2nd-level spell, once per long rest. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the Darkness spell, once per long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
- Languages: Common and Infernal.
Tiefling Variants Edit
Like half-elves, they got upgraded with subrace options in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. Specifically, aside from an official list of alternate physical traits, they get alternate ability score modifier options. Since not all tieflings are of the blood of Asmodeus, some have traits that differ from those in the Player's Handbook. The Dungeon Master may permit the following variants for your tiefling character, although Devil's Tongue, Hellfire, and Winged are mutually exclusive.
- Appearance: Your tiefling might not look like other tieflings. Rather than having the physical characteristics described in the Player's Handbook, choose 1d4+1 of the following features: small horns; fangs or sharp teeth; a forked tongue; catlike eyes; six fingers on each hand; goat-like legs; cloven hoofs; a forked tail; leathery or scaly skin; red or dark blue skin; cast no shadow or reflection; exude a smell of brimstone.
- Feral: Intelligence +1 and Dexterity +2. This trait replaces the Ability Score Increase trait.
- Devil's Tongue: You know the Vicious Mockery cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Charm Person spell as a 2nd-level spell once with this trait. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the Enthrall spell once with this trait. You must finish a long rest to cast these spells once again with this trait. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for them. This trait replaces the Infernal Legacy trait.
- Hellfire: Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the burning hands spell once per day as a 2nd-level spell. This trait replaces the hellish rebuke spell of the Infernal Legacy trait.
- Winged: You have bat-like wings sprouting from your shoulder blades. You have a flying speed of 30 feet. This trait replaces the Infernal Legacy trait.